Since 1976, Girls Incorporated has provided vital educational programs to thousands of metro Atlanta’s girls. Today, innovative programs help girls confront subtle societal messages about their value and potential, and prepare them to lead successful, independent and complete lives.
Girls Incorporated develops research-based, informal education programs that encourage girls to take educated risks; master physical, intellectual and emotional challenges; overcome the effects of gender inequity; and become self-sufficient, responsible adults. Our programs address:
– Math and science education
– Pregnancy prevention
– Media literacy
– Adolescent health
– Child abuse prevention
– Substance abuse prevention
– Sports and cultural activities
Our gender-specific programming lets girls focus on their real interest; at their own pace, free from distractions and comparisons. At Girls Inc., they will discover there is more to themselves and the world than they realized. By providing a nurturing environment, girls are encouraged to try new things to compete and to succeed, as well as to make mistakes and learn.
We believe that all girls are capable of achieving their full potential if social, cultural and legal barriers to their success are recognized and addressed. Furthermore, we believe that girls deserve and that we can provide:
– Environments in which they are taken seriously,
– Opportunities for active involvement with peers in acquiring new information and practicing new skills
– Relationships with adults, who understand their needs and strengths, challenge them to take risks, and maintain high expectations for their achievements.
Essential Elements of the Girls Inc. Experience
Every day, Girls Inc. of Greater Atlanta puts our mission into practice through the “Girls Inc. Experience,” which equips girls to navigate gender, economic, and social barriers and grow into healthy, educated, and independent adults.
There are six essential elements to the Girls Inc. Experience. Together they provide a holistic approach that is grounded in a belief in girls’ rights and abilities. At different ages, developmental stages, or happenings in life, one essential element may be more dominant or present for that moment or period of time. However, that element is always supported and enhanced by the other elements.
The essential elements of the Girls Inc. Experience are:
1. A pro-girl and girls-only environment that is physically, socially and emotionally safe and confirms that girls can succeed and deserve to be taken seriously for the persons they are now and the women they will become;
2. Trusting, mentoring relationships with adult staff and volunteers trained in an approach that is grounded in a belief in girls’ rights and abilities;
3. Holistic, compensatory, and intentional programming focused on girls’ needs and that provides exposure to a wide variety of experiences and options that girls might not have experienced otherwise;
4. Relevant, field-tested, and research-based curricula that confront the serious needs of girls while building the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to enable girls to be competent, confident individuals and adult women;
5. Girl-centered, motivating, deliberate, and interactive activities that develop and promote girls’ strengths.
6. Sustained exposure to programming and connection with a girl over time to increase positive outcomes and reduce the potential for negative outcomes.
Our Theory of Change is that the Girls Inc. Experience leads to these long term outcomes:
– Makes healthy choices
– Manages reproductive health
– Motivated to achieve
– Graduates from high school and has post-secondary education
– Sets & achieves personal, educational and career goals
– Has healthy relationships
– Has sound body image (which is related to self-confidence)
– Uses own voice & advocates for others
– Is resilient